This was my second visit to this venue, and it was storming on both occasions with rain bucketing down. They were votes as one of the finalists for restaurant week, so I was happy to go an experience the fare on offer.
Personally, I find the venue a little stiff and conservative…but that’s just me, I prefer a more laidback and relaxed kind of vibe, I’ll put that down purely to personal preference. The menu was quite varied this time around, and was as follows.
- Aged Boland cheese soufflé, shaved parmesan and gin cheese sauce. What’s not to love, cheesy and delicate.
- Crispy calamari, tomato lime, lardon, sauce romesco. I don’t know, I found this course uninspired. The deep fried calamari was a little pedestrian for me.
- Oak valley Beef Carpaccio, rocket and basil pesto, crushed olives, parmesan shavings and a pine nut vinaigrette.
- Pan roast line fish (which turned out to be sole), braised fennel risotto, orange chicory, buerre blanc, fennel shavings and grapefruit. The risotto was amazing, I would have preferred the entire fennel roasted as some was and some was not. The fish was ok, a little under seasoned and I would have preferred it filleted.
- Free range chicken breast, wrapped in pancetta, kale and hazelnut pesto, baby spinach, sherry cream jus. The chicken was quite dry, and maybe required a sauce.
- Asian pork belly, shitake mushrooms, bok choi and rainbow radish
- Mushroom and lentil bobotie, fruit chutney, roti and garden salad.
- Yoghurt panna cotta, grilled seasonal fruit, elder flower sherbet and yoghurt crispy. I didn’t enjoy this dessert; the yoghurt panna cotta didn’t work for me.
- Totally loved the Classic crème brulee with hazelnut biscotti, it’s one of my favourites.
- Finally, local handcrafted cheese board with lavash and homemade preserves, which was followed by Petit fours.
I was disappointed to be honest, I really enjoyed my last outing to this venue and it just seemed that every course had something missing or elements that seemed like it didn’t belong.
For the full album click HERE
93 Brommersvlei Rd,
Tel No: 021 794 2137
Opening Hours: Daily 07:00 – 22:00
Written for JAR PHOTOGRAPHY by Mario Arendse